Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Fixing Three Common Author Platform Mistakes



I recently read a Writer’s Digest article by Maria Ribas, literary agent at Stonesong, detailing the major mistakes made by many authors when developing a social media platform. I was not surprised to discover I was guilty on all counts, especially after receiving a call from my own agent, politely inquiring if she was perhaps viewing an outdated version of my website.
 
Oops.

As Ms. Ribas states, many authors view platform building as an annoying add-on to their busy writing day, a necessary evil geared toward selling more books.That’s exactly what I thought, and as a person who finds self-promotion difficult at the best of times, waxing eloquent about my awesome achievements on a daily basis, seemed ridiculous. I mean, who cares?

Nobody, it seems. According to Ms. Ribas, an author platform should be about developing a friendly, online community rather than selling yourself or your product. She discussed the three main problem areas and how to fix them.

Mistake #1: Post regularly. A site without action is like a ghost town, and who wants to visit a dilapidated dead zone? That being said, Ribas understands that not every social media site works for everyone. Some people prefer the homey nature of Facebook, others like the fast pace of Twitter, still others find that a picture paints a thousand words on Instagram. Ribas’ advice is to find the platform(s) that best work for you – and then post regularly.

I am currently on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others I don’t even remember because I post so infrequently. I need to focus my efforts, bu which one(s) to choose?

Let’s start with Twitter. I just can’t get into it. I understand that it is an effective tool for high speed, mass communication. Would the Arab Spring have come about without it? To me, however, Twitter feels like a dumping ground.  

I follow mainly writers and news organizations, and every time I open Twitter, the stunning amount of information is overwhelming; serious personal reflections, amusing tidbits, pictures of every conceivable person, place or thing – usually accompanied by a perky caption, and endless calls to action. Read my story! Buy this awesome thing! Have your say! Sign my petition! Feel something!

My already short attention span dribbles away to nothing as I scroll through the endless realms of information, and I find it almost impossible to key in on those people whom I'd like to get to know better.  Until someone can show me how to separate the wheat from the chaff, my twitter account flounders.

I like Instagram for my personal life. I enjoy looking at pictures of friends and family, but I’m not sure how it would work for my author platform. How many pictures of me talking at one event or another could other people stand? Am I supposed to post personal photos? Grandchildren, picnic suppers, canoe trips – that sort of thing? I’m not sure.

I rarely go on Pinterest. Searching through the endless boards is like walking blindly up and down the aisles of a crowded Home Depot when all you want to buy is one small package of finishing nails.

I DO like Facebook. I find the personal ­and professional updates from others, interesting. I like many of the articles that people forward. I can Like or Comment on someone’s post, and they do likewise with mine. I appreciate that I can easily see who it is I’m talking to. For me, Facebook offers the right balance between personal and professional, and flows along in manageable chunks.

Mistake #2: Unpolished website design. Ribas notes that authors often advertise their websites through various social media sites but when readers click on the link, are disappointed to find an outdated, unprofessional design.

Guilty! As of a few weeks ago, I had a typical amateur site – built by hand, using a free web-builder that offered only the most basic tools. With input from Monica Pacheco, a tech-savvy agent at the Anne McDermid literary agency, and from a knowledgeable web-designer, I’ve updated my website. It is now more visually appealing, shares more relevant information and is mobile-friendly. My task now, is to keep it up to date.
 
Mistake #3: Unhelpful Posts. Ribas rightly notes that people get into trouble when they post personal musings instead of helpful information. Overly long, often-whiny, private thoughts belong in a journal not an online blog.

I started Dumpy Grace as a forum for keeping track of the vicissitudes of my writing journey, so I guess it was more of a personal journal than a helpful blog. The problem is, I love Dumpy Grace. I don’t want to give her up. I’ll work on being more helpful and a little less whiny – but Dumpy Grace stays.
 
In a global world increasingly defined by meaningless infotainment-bites, we let a deeper understanding of people, events and ideas slip away at our peril. Forging genuine connections with our extended community, both in person and online, is one place to begin.

I've been struggling with the online world. Time to plunge in and work harder.  
    
  

2 comments:

  1. Food for thought. Time to review and analyze my status, blog, et/al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dumpy Grace too! I don't find her whiny - just delightfully honest and vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.