Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Bit About Beats: What are story beats and how to use them?

I was on my third creative writing night class before I learned the concept of literary beats.If you've done a lot of reading you already have an inherent understanding of beats but if not, allow me to share how I've come to understand them.

Think of it this way. A book starts as an overall concept, with characters, plots, setting, etc. The writer then separates the novel in three or four acts. The acts are separated into chapters and the chapters into scenes. The scenes are subdivided even further into 'beats.'

A beat can be described as bubbles of action, of thought, of mood, which each contribute something to character or plot.

I'm going to take the concept even further - Beats can be used to break up dialogue into manageable chunks at the same time as contributing to character and plot.

For example, instead of having Major Reginald Entwhistle wax poetic on the indubitable glories of the English Garden for several paragraphs, the writer interrupts his paroxysm of flowery discourse with a timely action. He might thump his silver tipped cane on the wooden floor for emphasis, he might lean forward and pour a cup of tea or decant a fine claret.

If he is overcome with nostalgia as he recounts, blossom by blossom, the gardens of his youth, he might sigh, or dab at a teary eye. If he angered at the damage caused to his precious conservatory by local hooligans he might go so far as to fling his glass of port into the fire.

If we are so lucky as to be inside Major Entwhistle's head as he expounds on the fleeting nature of the English Rose, we might find ourselves privy to his innermost thoughts. These can reveal much about the good Major. Is he contemplating having a one off with the comely scullery maid? Maybe the handsome houseman? Or has he come to some judgmental conclusion about his hapless visitor based on the threadbare nature of the man's morning coat? Have his thoughts turned to murder?

In dialogue, at least, beats keep the words flowing at a natural rate. Stops, starts, hesitations, these not only serve to create a more realistic conversation but also break up the speech visually on the page. Beats make dialogue much easier to read.

The problem that I've encountered is keeping those beats fresh. I often find myself leaning on tried and true beats. She stood and stretched. He fiddled with his napkin. She checked her watch. He frowned, sighed, coughed, grimaced, smiled, grunted....you get the point.

Coming up with imaginative beats that are fun to read AND contribute to character and plot is not easy. Inventive, rich beats are something I will be watching for as I approach the daunting task of a second draft.

Beats will be a focus...along with enhancing character, plot improvements, adverb patrol...etc, etc, etc.




 Dumpy Grace stood, stretched her back and sighed.

Donning her silk top hat and tails she slipped into her scarlet dancing shoes.

As she painted on a smile she goosed the writing gods with her silver tipped cane.

"Knees up," they cried. "Get down to the beat." 

And poor old Dumpy, hustled and boogied and bobbed until there was nothing left but faded scuff marks on the floor and a second draft bulging with beautiful beats. 

And the story? 

It's smokin'




2 comments:

  1. I love writing beats, but you're right, they're very hard work.

    I really like this piece. I doubt anyone other than writers actually think about this. If done well, the reader never notices as they continue to revel in a story well told.

    If done poorly or not at all, the reader simply puts down the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I'm finding it very difficult to 'show' something about my main characters in an original ways using beats. It seems like I've 'been there, done that' with most of them. I find that I am repeating myself to the point that it is getting boring. Sheesh...why doesn't this get any easier?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.