Thursday, May 24, 2012

In What Universe is this Fun?

It's 11:30am as I write this. Typically, I'd be well into whatever scene I was be working on. Instead, I am sitting back in my chair in shocked silence.

80,000 words into this second book and I have finally been forced to address three rather significant plot holes that I have known about for some time but was kind of hoping would resolve themselves in some miraculous way.

However, as I approach the thrilling finale and realize that it isn't really all that clever I know I'm going to have to take a step back and fill in those holes. Only that will allow the nail-biter of an ending to make sense. And as Anne McDermid advised, one ignores a clever plot at one's peril.

I put my thinking cap on, all the while trying to remember that everything has to fit with the theme of this book - How guilt and shame can distort perception and cause unnecessary suffering.

The first plot gap was coming up with a believable motivation for the evil actions of the main antagonist. So far his reasons were kind of weak and a little scattered but this turned out to be relatively easy to fix. In fact, I think I came up with a particularly brilliant idea.

The second involved getting rid of Maitland. I needed her to be unable to come to the rescue and the only way I could do that was to come up with a reason why Grace would decide to ask Signy to work on this case with her without telling Maitland. A little harder but definitely doable.

The third giant sinkhole was the question of why Signy would call on the Tracker for assistance when Grace disappears. She is trapped in the States, harboring a woman and a child who have just become the subjects of an Amber Alert. She knows Grace has gone to see the woman's husband and now Grace has disappeared. Why in God's name would she not reach out for Maitland's formidable assistance under these dire circumstances??

Not to mention that the Tracker is being stalked by an assassin, and when he rides to the rescue, unbeknownst to him he brings along a big stinking pile of trouble of his own.

That is when I sat back and freaked. It is all getting too COMPLICATED!

This book has turned out to be much more of a Grace and Signy show that I had intended and I wonder if the inclusion of the Tracker is detracting from their dynamic? And yet, it would be so much more interesting if Signy gets to reunite with her newly discovered brother. Besides,  I like the Tracker....

Heavy sigh....gulp...unfortunately, .I think that if I want this book to really crackle I am probably going to have to do a lot of new writing, a lot more cutting and even more re-writes.

Why am I doing this? In what universe is this fun?

What inevitably spurs me on is that I know that the solution is hiding just behind a half open door in the back of my mind. I realize that if I put my shoulder back to the grindstone I will find it and I'm certain that in the long run I will be happy that I put in the effort.

crap....








3 comments:

  1. Oh, dear ... I'm so far behind you with #2 book that it's not even funny. However, I do feel your pain.

    I also love The Tracker and I think the readers of your first book would miss him. Can Maitland have travel plans, or a sudden bowel obstruction that lands her in the hospital? For some reason, old people seem to get those often. I haven't kept count, but people over 70 come in with them much, much more often that younger folks.

    You've probably figured out something else very fantastic. Just thought I'd throw it out there ...

    And, did I mention that I'm anxious to read the finished work???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for that idea - I will definitely mull it over. The thing is Signy needs to be reluctant to reach out for any help from the Underground Railway people and the only way I can think of doing that is by having Grace (who is suffering from PTSD) take on the job on the QT. Maitland has already told the person who asked NO - because she feels the young woman who claims she is in danger, is in fact suffering from a mental illness and needs medical help. Grace doesn't agree (probably projecting her own worries on to the young lady) She brings Signy along after getting Signy to promise not to spill the beans to Maitland. (as you can tell...Grace is losing it a little bit) So, when Grace disappears and Signy is stuck in the States with the girl being hunted by everyone due to an Amber Alert the only person she can think of to turn to is the Tracker (whom she hasn't contacted since the end of book one) Does this make sense???? Would you believe it???

    BTW - at this rate, I should be finished sometime in 2015. Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I read this a couple times to get the gist of the story. Now ... hmmm ...

    First of all, are we going to assume that most readers of this book have read Book #1?

    Secondly, is there any way at all that you can insert bits of The Tracker earlier in the book in order to introduce him to the reader, or is that impossible?

    If The Trackers shows up for the first time near the end of the book, anyone who has read the first one is probably wondering what is taking Signy so long to contact him.

    If you're thinking that many readers will plunge into Book 2 without having read the first one, I think you'll have to do some kind of a recollection/flash back scene. (I know, I know ...) in order to let your readers who who this guy is, and why Signy would need him.

    It just occurred to me that because The Tracker seems so intelligent and well-read, he might be able to figure Grace's problems out too. (Not having read the book, I don't know if this even matters.) But I do think he's perceptive enough to come to Signy's aid, size up the situation, and get on with the job.

    I say, work him in if you can at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.