Sunday, June 10, 2012

Real Job vs. Writing?

I guess all writers come to a fork in the road. Should I grow up and get a real job or should I continue to pour my heart and soul into what, in all likelihood, will prove futile in the long run?

I have reached this fork (again!) and I'm torn.

There are many reasons why it makes sense to return to the world of mental health social work.
  • I enjoy working with clients
  • I enjoy working with peers
  • I like the daily routine (sort of)
  • I'd be starting in a new place and that would bring exciting new challenges
  • I love the ongoing learning
  • I like improving my skills
  • I like the money (of course)
Most of all, I checked out the 'Working in Mental Health' website and found SEVERAL jobs posted that, not only do I qualify for, I would actually enjoy. That doesn't happen very often! The only thing missing was a part time option - all the posted positions were full time, which is the problem. Taking a full time job would seriously cut into my writing time and creativity.

Last week I turned down an interview request for an agency in Belleville. It was interesting but not nearly as exciting as these new positions.

On the FLIP side - I LOVE the writing lifestyle.
  • I love improving my writing skills
  • I enjoy the characters I've created
  • I was able to get an agent
  • I had my novel edited by a real pro and her feedback was very positive. She believes there is a popular series in the making if I can get all the components right.
  • Although the chances remain extremely slim, there is still a faint possibility that this novel might go somewhere
  • My agent loves the synopsis of my second book and is looking forward to seeing the revisions on the first
  • We are managing financially for the time being
  • On the downside, sometimes that internal voice in your head that reminds you that you will never be good enough can be very irritating. And some days, like today, the thought of spending another day at the desk, chopping and editing and re-writing is daunting. 
What to do?  What to do? What to do?


7 comments:

  1. Susan -- it's been a busy few days, and I've been wanting to comment on this post. Although I'm not in your position, writing-wise or job-wise, this somehow resonates with me.

    Jobs are great, and as someone who is trying to write regularly, I find that the part-time variety works out perfectly.

    Like you, I have a nattering thing sitting on my shoulder, constantly telling me that life would be so much easier, so much better, if I just forgot about writing seriously and went ahead and did all the things I'd rather do instead of writing, reading about writing, or thinking about writing. That includes reading many books the way I used to, instead of trying to cram writing stuff into my odd spare minutes.

    I'm not a professional, so you'll have to take the following words for what they're worth, but I don't think you should put your writing on the back burner. You have too many pros telling you that this could all go someplace, and you've invested far too much time and effort to sideline it all now.

    I totally understand the desire for the job -- excellent and valid points made. I also understand the need to answer the call of writing.

    Do you keep going as you are for now, continuing to watch the website for a part-time job made just for you? It's not my life, but that would be my vote. I'd hate to see you unable to give both writing and a job your full attention. I know you wouldn't be happy if one or the other suffered.

    You can ignore all of the words above if you wish, but these are my thoughts.

    Now, I'm going to put aside all of the things I had hoped to do this afternoon in order to "detail" my first couple chapters in preparation for Ms. Toyne's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this! You are, of course, totally right.

    I think I was feeling very daunted at the amount of work that I still had to do - and the stuff I was fixing didn't sound all that terrific. And then these great sounding jobs were posted....

    Anyhoo...I decided to forget about the hectoring voice that tells me this is a useless exercise and just carry on. When I reread some of the 'fixes' this morning, they weren't so bad after all. Go figure!

    I am so excited for you....I'm sure Becky will take you on. Your writing is fabulous and i know she'll be intrigued by the story. GOOD LUCK and thanks again for all your wonderful support. You don't know how much it means to know there is someone out there who knows exactly what this journey is like and is so willing to support her fellow travelers. Enjoy your writing day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You go, Girls!" to both of us! (Taking a procrastination break.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    I have something for you at my blog post, http://bit.ly/L4ziSr. As you read, watch for your name. And don't ever stop writing. And ignore that jealous voice. YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH!

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much, Monique, for the morale boost and the blog award! I am looking forward to passing the honor on to other writers. It is heartening to realize that there are other writers out there, ready and willing to support each other through the ups and downs of what can be a very lonely profession. LOVE your blog! Thanks again for making my day! Cheers, Susan : )

      Delete
  5. Just found you through Monique's nomination on her blog. I'm so glad that you're continuing with writing. Please be encouraged by how far you've come (an agent, final edits, second novel synopsis). BTW, I also come from the social work field (geriatric). I'll be following your future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your supportive message! Very timely. I have decided to keep plugging along. It's really neat that you also come from the social work field. I worked with many elders in the mental health field as you can imagine. I enjoyed working with the older crowd very much. Lots of great stories and tons of wisdom to pass on. Thanks for following Dumpy Grace. All the best! Susan

      Delete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.