Monday, June 17, 2013

It's Amazing What a Little Bum Glue Can Do!

It's official!  Bum glue works!

In my most recent post, I lamented the lack of colour in my writing. Characters weren't talking to me, the scenery was drab, nothing sparkled.

I thought perhaps I needed to return to my writing gurus for inspiration - and that certainly is a good thing.

But - I held off, thinking that perhaps, my desire to poke my nose back into 'How To' books might just be another stalling tactic.

As an experiment, I decided to just stick it out, continue on with the bad writing, just let the crappy stuff flow and see what happened.

The results are in, and they are very interesting indeed.

It seems there is a direct relationship between the number of words one manages to choke onto the page (crappy, or not) and how good those words eventually begin to feel.

Over the course of the past few weeks of applying massive amounts of bum glue to my...well...bum...my writing has once again come to life.

Signy's voice has returned, as sharp and prickly as ever, as has those of the other main characters. The settings are bright and clear, the plot is taking on some unexpected twists and turns.

Conclusion?

When you begin to have self-doubts...

When you fear that even if you used a dagger as a quill, you couldn't write your way out of a paper bag...

When you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are scribbling drek that no one will ever read...

When you begin to contemplate a 9 to 5 office job?

Then it the time to apply a liberal slather of bum glue.


STICK TO IT...

Your next sentence just might be a masterpiece.





1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed both of your recent posts and this one, in particular, makes me realize what I'm currently missing. I'm not sure where I'll find the glue (gardens need finishing and house needs cleaning), but maybe if I get those out of the way today ........

    I'm so happy to hear that you've made such good progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.