Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Finish Line

Phew!

After close to 8 months of steady writing, I have put the finishing touches on Draft One of my second novel.



It's funny. That momentous statement, which should be loaded with celebratory delight, instead feels a bit anti-climactic. I'm not sure why that is, especially given that Simon and Schuster has purchased the publishing rights and both books will soon be coming to a book store near you.

I guess for me,The Finish Line isn't where the thrills are found. I find the true delight  in the process of the thing, whether it's taking a course, teaching a class, or planning a new venture. It isn't the final product that turns my crank, but the joy I found in getting there.

Especially when I'm writing. I love puzzling out of a difficult plot problem, or hunting for just the right word, or coming up with dialogue that sounds exactly like what the character would really say if they were sitting across the table, sipping a coke. Typing -30- on the last page just doesn't hold the same appeal.

Weird, huh?

 Still - I am getting ahead of myself. I've only finished the first draft.  I will now take a couple of weeks off, and enjoy (FINALLY) some reading for pleasure. Have I mentioned how difficult it is to pick up a book in the evening when your eyes are sore and tired from staring at the computer all day?

I'm hoping that those two weeks will allow the  words of Dark Territory (yup, that's the title of the 2nd book) to settle. After that, I'll return with fresh eyes and get cracking on adding the colour and technical nuance that I neglected in favour of getting the plot just right.

The final draft of Dark Territory is due at the publisher by Feb. 14, 2014, which at first glance seems like a long way away, but, I also have to have the final draft of Blown Red to them by Oct. 2013. Apparently, they have a few minor changes still left for me to address.

Two books in the next 6 months, and then the added horror of the publicity stuff. Oh ya - there is going to be publicity stuff! Starting with a meeting in September during which I will meet 'my team' at S and S, and enjoy a celebratory lunch. This is all great stuff, but a little daunting for a natural introvert, and blushing fool.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking I should do something to celebrate the completion of Dark Territory. Even if it doesn't feel all that exciting. I'm thinking chocolate....


2 comments:

  1. Susan -- when I read all of this my mind is completely boggled and I feel blown away when I realize that this is very, very REAL for you. Just last week we were sitting in the basement of the Odd Fellows Hall, right?

    I know I've often congratulated you on meeting a milestone, but HUGE congratulations again or getting to this one. I have only a faint idea of how much work this is for you, and a very real idea of the pleasure (mostly) of making it happen.

    I remain one of your most ardent supporters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It does feel like just last week, doesn't it? It's amazing how much has happened since then. You have your book published and I am well on the way. Wow! We are amazing!!

      Delete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.