Monday, March 3, 2014

Hearing Voices: How to Get to Know Your Characters

In my last post, How Do You Get Your Ideas? I discussed the way I use chatty conversations with my characters as a way to generate story ideas.

Someone who read the post was intrigued by the way I described my conversation with my main character, and wanted to know if Signy seemed like a real person to me, like REALLY real. Did I know her as well as my sister or best friend?

The short answer is no, and therein lies one of my greatest challenges. Who are my characters and how can I make readers care about them?

There are plenty of good character development techniques and templates available. They help the writer probe for physical appearance, personality traits, quirks, habits, voice, etc. Supposedly, all this prep work helps the character burst into joyous life the minute you finally put pen to paper.

Unfortunately, this basic process isn't always enough.  Sometimes, despite knowing every detail about your character's food preferences, medical history, childhood friends and bedroom habits, he or she stubbornly refuses to comply with your Frankenstein-ian demands.

I had that difficulty with my protagonist, Signy Shepherd. I knew exactly who I wanted her to be, but never seemed able to capture my vision on paper. No matter how many character interviews I filled out, Signy remained dull and colourless on the page. A flat-lander if there ever was one.

That is, until Sue Reynolds  teacher of the brilliant course, A Novel Approach asked the class to explain how our main character had changed throughout our book. The twist was, that we had to answer using the voice of our protagonist. I closed my eyes for a moment, and channeled Signy Shepherd. Signy being Signy, the first thing she said to Sue, was "That's a stupid question."

Sue said she got goose bumps because she could truly 'hear' Signy's voice - loud and clear.

So did I.

It was the first time I really had a clear sense of my prickly, complex main character, and I've used that technique every time she starts to become a little hazy in my mind.

As a result of our regular chats, Signy and I have developed a relationship over these past three years.

She is very different with me than she is with her mentor, Grace Holder, or her long-lost brother, Alex Nakai. With them, she is confident but guarded. With me, she is open and funny and even a little demanding. I need her to let loose with me because I need her to feel free to come up with even the most bizarre story ideas, without fear of feeling stupid (one of her problems)

And, it works. Not only do these little chats keep Signy fresh and vibrant in my mind, they also serve as an effective way of generating ideas.

Next time you are lamenting that your characters are more than a little one-dimensional, try inviting them into your head for a cup of tea, or a scotch on the rocks if that seems more apropos. Ask a few provocative questions then wait for them to start talking.

Don't worry. They will. You just have to listen.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.