Monday, March 10, 2014

The Thrill of a Good Cover Design

The cover is here!! 

When the cover design popped into my inbox from Simon and Schuster, Canada, I have to admit to a moment of emotional overload. After months and months of crafting the first draft, the marathon re-write, the fine-tuning and the copy edits, the arrival of the cover felt like I'd finally reached the top of the mountain.

And, it wasn't only the sense of accomplishment that felt so great. The design itself took my breath away. I know, I know....it's only the cover of a thriller novel but I think that Paul, the design guy at Simon and Schuster created something truly special.

Check it out.

The red colour theme is arresting. What reader could resist picking it up off the shelf for a quick peek?

I love the shadowy lettering behind the title. It feels a little off-balance which reflects the situation in which the protagonist, Signy Shepherd, finds herself.

The girl running toward the viewer is exactly how I pictured Signy! Seeing her long hair billowing out behind her as she races headlong into danger brought a tear to my eye.


The sense of the girl being inside a tunnel and the bright light at her back evoke the train theme which play an important part throughout the story

The target graphic really ramps up the tension

My name is pretty huge which feels kind of weird but they were trying to go for a Sandra Brown/Tess Gerritson look, and I think they achieved that very well.

Thanks to Alison and Paul at Simon and Schuster, Canada.

                                                  You made me feel like dancing!


1 comment:

  1. Took time away from my own pathetic book-writing attempt to read this wonderful news. I agree with each of your points, and couldn't be happier with:

    a) Your really wonderful achievements; and

    b) The spot-on cover design, and for all the reasons you mention. The story truly is summarized in one terrific snapshot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.