Monday, June 23, 2014

Life in Transition on Little Partridge Lake


I must admit I have not been writing as much as I should be lately. Spring arrived late at our new home on Little Partridge Lake and as summer approaches, the level of activity out on the lake has reached a fever pitch.

If you think Twitter and Facebook are distractions you should try a Common Loon vs. Canada Goose showdown out on the water. The geese won the battle, managing to save their five goslings from a vicious loon attack, but I'm afraid they lost the war. There has been no sign of the geese or their offspring for days.

On the beach, a red-winged blackbird and a tricky raven battle it out on a daily basis. The blackbird dive-bombs his much larger foe with a level of courage and derring-do that far outweighs his small size. Oddly, there are times when the mortal enemies walk together on our small beach, side by side, chatting amiably. These momentary ceasefires remind me of a cartoon sheepdog and coyote from my childhood. Those two foes waged bloody war only until five o'clock in the afternoon after which they punched the clock and went out for a drinks together.


Faced with that level of drama I find it next to impossible to drag myself back into the gray office and sit down at the computer.

Signy Shepherd will have to wait.














 Meanwhile....I've been exploring the lake. A natural transition zone occurs where the water meets the land. Along this magical boundary species from both the wooded forest and the aquatic environment abound.  Join me over the next few weeks as I encounter some truly amazing creatures.

Let's begin with some cool plant life.

Dotting the edges of the small lake are bog-like fens.
Fens are dominated by grasses and sedges and have a high diversity of other plant species...










...including these lovely wild irises.














On a healthy fen, carnivorous plants wait patiently for their next meal.


Just offshore, I found many spectacular examples of carnivorous pitcher plants. Check out this dangerous flower.







 Unfortunate insects, attracted by the flashy colours and musty smell of the flower head down the curled leaves, become stuck in the sticky interior and are digested by the plant.


Ugh.  Nasty way to die.



Hmmm....






Perhaps one of my villains might suffer a similar fate...?


Life and death in the transition zone.


Food for thought.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.