Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My First Public Book Reading

The publicity and marketing phase of Blown Red continues.

Yesterday, I participated in my first ever book reading at a Books and Brunch event hosted by Blue Heron Books in Uxbridge. I think I must be getting somewhat used to these public appearances as my anxiety level was not too bad. I think the lovely three-hour drive down from Little Partridge Lake helped. It was sunny and warm in the car and I was listening to Sunday morning CBC radio, which is always illuminating.

I thought I'd use a little Stoic philosophical practice to reflect on my performance. During evening meditation, Stoics ask themselves these three questions:

1. What went well? That's easy. I think the reading I gave went very well. I picked a good passage and gave it my all - reading as creepily as I could. I was happy with my performance and the feedback was positive.

It was also very helpful to have Sue Reynolds as the host of the event. Sue was one of my writing teachers and she not only has an intimate knowledge of Blown Red but is also wonderfully supportive. It makes the world of difference to have a friendly face cheering you on when you risk moving so far outside your comfort zone.

Ian Hamilton, author of the Ava Lee series, graciously agreed to share the stage with me, and he couldn't have been more friendly. He told me some great stories about his first forays in the public appearance world - some of them quite hair-raising, and he was a fun guy to spend an afternoon with.

2. What did I do Wrong? During the Q & A session, I think I answered some of the questions well enough, others not so much. I tend to ramble, go off on tangents and worst of all - blab about boring stuff. You know how drivers tend to head directly toward the object they are trying to avoid - that's what I do with excruciating stuff no one wants to hear. Gotta remember to focus on juicier topics and to be more succinct.

3. What didn't I do? I think maybe I could be more prepared with some funny stories to tell. Ian Hamilton had a few 'go-to' stories that made the audience laugh. I know that when I'm listening to people speak, a little humour goes a long way to keeping my eyelids from drooping. I think it would be wise in future to have always have few riveting anecdotes at my finger tips.


Live and learn...live and learn.

That's what it's all about, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.