Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Plotting Woes

Life has finally settled enough for me to get back full-time to Book Three. The past few months have been a whirlwind and there is more to come. Several speaking engagements loom in the near future, but for now, I'm ready to start writing.

I have a basic plot sketched out. For me, that involves writing the title of each scene on a sticky note and plastering it to a story board on my wall. And then I stare at the board for hours, ensuring I've captured all the key elements of a good story.

I need to make sure the central theme shines through. In book three, the characters will betray and be betrayed, setting in motion an unstoppable chain of events that spelled disaster for Signy in her past - and now threatens her future.

Next, I ensure that the plot serves to answer the over-arching question - Can Signy save the girl?

Finally, I make sure I have a clear understanding of my characters and how I want them to grow as a result of this adventure.

Character is even more important than plot in my opinion. Plots are interchangeable. As long as they are basically entertaining, we've all been there, done that with most plot ideas. What matters is how your unique group of characters respond to the conflicts you place in their path.

It was during a conversation with Jay Rodan last week, the amazing writer who has been hired to bring Signy Shepherd to the small screen, that I realized I had yet to truly understand a most important character that will be introduced in Book Three.

Mr. X will be the over-arching villain throughout the entire series. He will come and go, wreaking havoc, ruining lives. I need to be absolutely sure that I get him right the first time. At his core, he is a psychopath, but that fact alone cannot explain the twisted relationship he forges with Signy.

I realized I had only scratched the surface in my own understanding of Mr. X. And, for me, the best way to show what makes him tick is by watching how he responds to barriers in his path. In other words - a fabulous plot is essential to drive Mr. X's character development.

When I looked at the plot I had sketched out (note the word sketch) I realized I needed something far more intricate, a set of events that would truly challenge Mr. X. I knew I wouldn't get to know the real Mr. X by having him jump through a few tried and true plot hoops. Mr. X. needed a huge challenge to crack open his mask of sanity.

So, I went back to the drawing board. Actually, more like the canvas. I had already roughed out the broad pencil strokes, but Mr. X needs far more in order to come to life. He needs subtle shading, vibrant colours, depth.

I'm getting there, but it's a struggle. The dark psychopath character has been done to death and figuring out ways to keep that archetype fresh is not easy. It's exhausting work but essential.

There are some writers who can start a new story with only the vaguest of ideas. They blurt out the words and somehow, magically, a coherent story and strong characters appear. That is not me. I have to slog it out, sticky note by sticky note, analyzing every major twist and turn - making sure it all fits together like a giant jigsaw puzzle.  

What I've learned from experience, is that if I can get it right now, then I will save myself a tsunami of angst in the future. There is nothing worse than getting three quarters of the way to the finish line only to realize that your story is not working.

When that happens, there is nothing left but to drown in your own tears.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.