Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Have an EDITOR!

FINALLY!  My agent has paired me with a professional editor in order to tighten up the storyline a bit and allow the protagonist, Signy Shepherd, to shine even brighter.

I am thrilled.

When I was editing Blown Red it felt like performing surgery while using an episode of House as my guide. I was lacking the skills to take a critical look at what should go and what should stay.




Despite my best efforts I felt stymied by my lack of experience.














Today, Anne McDermid set me up with a 'real' editor and from the sounds of her first email she is professional, supportive and best of all, funny!

I am very excited to work with her. She says the job will be complete by the end of May, at which point the book can go to the publishers and I will feel like I have done my very best.




Best of all, I think that working with a professional writer will help my second book as well.

I intend to soak up everything she teaches me and to be up to my knees in good words!!

2 comments:

  1. Not envious by nature I admit to a twinge at the moment. Fortunately, my overwhelming emotion is one of joy on your behalf. This has to be one of the biggest boosts you've received in a long time. So, so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest the best thing about this whole thing is that Anne McDermid still thought the book worthy enough for an editing process. I was pretty sure she was going to give me the brush off and say "Good try - but I have bigger fish to fry." I would have been ok with that - I really never expected to get this far. Still, the fact that I am still moving forward feels like some sort of miracle. Hoping that this editor teaches me all sorts of wonderful new skills!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.