Thursday, April 26, 2012

Grants for Writers in Canada - Top 5 Websites


As you may know from a previous post, I quit my lucrative social work career to concentrate on writing. I can say unequivocally that I have never regretted my decision.That being said, the loss of a steady income does create challenges as I outlined in a previous post, Buddy, Can you spare a dime? http://dumpygrace.blogspot.ca/2012/04/for-those-of-you-who-have-read-my-older.html

Luckily, my son, Andrew has also embarked on an artistic life and is currently taking a sound engineering course in Vancouver, BC.  He told me the other day that he learned that the Canadian government has a number of grants available for artists, including writers. He suggested I take a look online to see what kind of support might be out there for struggling writers.
 
I'm sure there are many other assistance programs but here is my list of the Top 5 websites for the more lucrative creative writing grants offered in Canada.

1) The Canada Council for the Arts http://www.canadacouncil.ca/grants/writing/ri127227329682968750.htm offers a creative writing grant that gives Canadian authors (emerging, mid-career and established) time to write new literary works, including novels, short stories, poetry, children’s and young adults’ literature, graphic novels, exploratory writing and literary non-fiction. Check out the site for the general criteria. English language applicants must apply by October 1. French language deadline is April 1. 

2) The Personal Grants in Ontario website http://grants.ca/personal-grants/writing-grants/ has a wealth of information about provincial and national writing grants including Works in Progress Grant offered in Ontario that offers up to $12,000 to professional writers to assist in the completion of a book length project of literary merit. In British Columbia, assistance is available for Project Assistance and Touring Initiatives.

3) Check out the proofpositive.com website http://www.proofpositive.com/grants/canadian-writers-grants.htm for an even more comprehensive lists of public and private support for Canadian writers. This list includes grants offered by most of the provinces as well as links to other grant websites. It also offers links to grant-writing assistance websites.

4) The Writer's Union of Canada http://www.writersunion.ca/ww_twucpublications.asp offers a Writer's Guide to Grants. You have to pay for the guide and I'm not sure how current it is but it may worth checking out. 

5) The Writer's Trust of Canada http://www.writerstrust.com/Programs.aspx was originally created by five notable Canadian authors — Margaret Atwood, the late Pierre Berton, Graeme Gibson, the late Margaret Laurence, and David Young — to encourage a flourishing writing community in this country.
From their website I learned that  Canadian writers receive more financial support from the Writers’ Trust of Canada than any other non-governmental organization or foundation in the country. Annually, the organization provides almost half a million dollars directly to a group of approximately 100 writers.

Five program streams support Canadian writers:
  • Canada’s largest privately-funded collection of literary awards
  • A one-of-a-kind grant for creators facing unforeseen financial need
  • Canada’s most significant writers’ retreat
  • A scholarship program open to emerging writers
  • An annual lecture series that details the development of the national writing 
So - as you wait for your fabulous book, short story, magazine article, play or screenplay to hit the big time - check out these sites. They might just help keep the wolf from the door.



I'm in the money!

And life is sunny! 

1 comment:

  1. Are you in?

    I did some research, grant submissions and related stuff when I worked in fundraising. It's a lot of work and I firmly believe that anyone who receives a grant deserves every penny -- if only for the effort put into asking for it!!

    If you're going for it, I'm cheering for you already.

    And, as always, your pictures crack me up. I LOVE Dumpy Grace.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.