Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Perils of Social Media

I am participating in Robert Lee Brewer's April Platform Challenge.   http://robertleebrewer.blogspot.ca/2012/04/april-platform-challenge-day-7.html

It is really pretty cool. The object is to develop your own platform. (Ya - I didn't know what that was, either) The best way I can describe it is as a physical platform like a soap box, on which you stand loud and proud and declare yourself to the world.

Developing a platform means joining social media sites like Facebook and Twiiter and LinkedIn. It means sharing your writing through online media sites like blogs.

All that is well and good. After some technical glitches (what the heck is html code?)  I was able to figure out how to get myself out there using all these resources. So far, so good.

But, the next step is a LOT harder. It involves surfing the web, seeking out other writers, reading their blogs, Twitters, Facebooks, Linkendns, etc, etc., then making comments and sharing what you like on your own blog, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, etc. 

On the plus side, I have hooked up via all these sites with some pretty awesome writers and that is amazing! No doubt about it - the networking and the sharing of ideas is helpful. It is exciting to know that there are other writers out there toiling away in the wilderness.

But, as Pinteresting as all this is, it is also nerve-wracking. On Twitter you are expected to compose short, pithy statements several times a day then send them out for all to read. And even though you are pretty sure no one is going to read your 'hilarious' observations, you worry that you sound stupid. (Actually, you KNOW you sound stupid)

And finding the time to keep up? Impossible!

The tweets just keep pecking and pecking and pecking. (I had to disable the new tweet alert on my phone. Whenever that little bell trilled I was starting to salivate and that just felt wrong.)

And, when I read one blog I just had to read more... and more... and more. They are so good - I learn so much from great writing.

And the pics? Aaaahhhhh....so many cute pussy cats and ponies and babies. You'd have to be a psychopath to resist.






What to do? 


What to do? 


Any thoughts??

2 comments:

  1. Haha, Susan, I see we are somewhat on the same page about the dangers of social media!! Ironic as we are participating in a platform building month! I plan on giving myself so much time per day on social media and that's it. I end up with 2 or 3 hours before bed during the week, and I want to spend at least 2/3 of that time writing! No easy answers, I am afraid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! See how long it took me to get back to you? Sheesh! I've fallen behind on my novel despite my best intentions. I resolve to get cracking. But, maybe I'll just go check my twitter first....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for providing feedback. I appreciate your comments.